Thursday, May 31, 2018

A tale of two cities

I am referring to Osaka and Kyoto together, not only because of their geographical proximity, but because both are modern cities that are built around the ruins or remains of castles, shrines and temples of a long gone era.

Despite the attempts to hold on to the past, the Osaka castle, for example, restored this last time in a way that from the outside, one may think that a castle is ahead of them, but inside, a modern museum with elevators, computer screens and gift stores are to be found.






Osaka itself is a modern city. Nevertheless, a once a week market, that encapsulates and old tradition of bargaining takes place. I was lucky to be in Osaka on a weekend so I got to bargain with a local while being interviewed by a Tokyo TV network.

Later on, one of the sellers in the market recognized me and invited me to join her running group for a BBQ that evening.
This was my first social event in Japan. It turns out that hardly anyone in the group actually runs, but the do enjoy a beer and grilled meat and veggies.







The next day, I headed to Kyoto. At first, following a trail that turned out to be fit for hikes bun not for cyclists.
I did make it to Kyoto that evening. The next day I toured a bit and took advantage of the modern city's perks and fixed my bicycle and gear.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on a map