Thursday, May 10, 2018

Amami

Amami is a relatively large island with higher mountains than the previous islands I visited. On the northern side there is the main town, Naze, while the rest of the island has small villages spread apart.

I cycled up the forest covered mountains without seeing a soul all day. Since the Rainy Season, the one between spring and summer here in Japan begun, I cycled all day in the rain. The land is volcanic here, so there was no disabilitating mud.

Towards evening I reached a small village and had a nice traditional dinner. The woman who pointed me to the restaurant was kind enough to show me to her nephew’s lodge, so I also got a good night’s sleep.

Anyhow, this island hopping has come to an end. I will hit the mainland in Kagoshima, a 12 hour ferry. Luckily ferries have sleeping areas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on a map