Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Okinawa, day II

Okinawa, day II
I couldn't find a reasonably priced motel or one with vacancy after cycling all Day in Okinawa. I had a great day cycling and it was already dark. As usual, fortune takes over. I got to Mission Beach. Down the path, a turn to the left,and there it is. A camping ground on the seafront. Packed with Japanese campers, mainly families, I got to the office and I was offered a small plot (they were full, but still they couldn’t,I guess, turn me down).

It turns out that this is a diving center too! I showed Aki, the instructor, my PADI diving licence issued back in 1980, and after gasping a couple of times, she approved my request to dive with her the next day. So, the next day after she and the other instructor, Muro,  managed to fit me with the suit and gear, off we went. I have the DVD…..

I continued cycling north until I got to the port from which I was to leave Okinawa for Yoron, the next island. Just across from the port there is a little village. I got to the first B&B to find that there is no vacancy, but did have a mini restaurant. The second B&B also was full, but the third had room. While waiting for the room to be prepared by the wife and her daughter, I was invited into their home and sat with the 90 year old husband and the 3 year old granddaughter. He still practices Karate.

After a nice shower I went to inquire about dinner. I made a reservation for Seven O’clock p.m. When I got there, my hosts, all four of them, were there, having their dinner. Since there is room only for four adults in this tiny restaurant, I was seated with them. We talked, with Google Translate App, which is a lifesaver, about food that Jews can eat (observant Jews cannot eat in Japan…).

When my hosts were about to leave, the restaurant owner and cook, Sumaki informed me that they had paid for my meal. Oy!

The next morning I went for breakfast too. The food was so good at dinner that I knew that breakfast will be amazing too. It was.

We said our goodbyes and of to Yoron it was.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on a map