Monday, May 21, 2018

Words

Having a conversation here is rare. So, as I am, in part, on the pilgrimage route of 88 Buddhist temples, I thought I may meet some foreigners en route.

Today I met a Catholic missionary and his nephew, both from Holland, and had a short exchange.

The uncle has been on this Shikoku route three times already. He finds that for him, he is somewhere in between these two theologies.

According to him, Christians who left the Holy land on the silk road arrived to China and left a stone with an inscription of the eight recovery principles based on the Beatitudes.

In the eighth century, a Japanese lord who was not satisfied by his Shinto religion traveled to China to learn about Buddhism, saw this Christian stone and merged the two to a new style of Buddhism.

I have no idea if any of this is true, but this is one pilgrim's belief.

Another pilgrim I just happened to see on this pilgrimage route:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on a map