Monday, June 11, 2018

Fuji San

The road to Mount Fuji, Fuji San, was marked by a big climb over the mountains.
Before arriving to the point from which I was to climb, I could see Fuji from 54km away!

The mountain is just short of 4,000 meters above sea level while the surrounding mountains are less than 2,000. So it was visible most of the way until I got close to the mountains.

All I had was 34 km to go, and I'd be there. The first 15 where a mild, yet constant, up hill cycle. The next 7km where less mild... The last 2.5 km where very steep. From an elevation of roughly 800 meters above sea level to 1,100. But on the bright side, this was a shortcut that took me off the main road to a beautiful forest path.

I reached the other side just to discover that the mountain was covered with clouds. I found a backpackers' hotel in town. Although the room was Japanese style, the other occupants were predominantly western.



This meant that for the first time on this trip, I had actual conversations with an Australian couple, a Brit and two Canadians. But most amazing was my conversation with Masa, the Japanese receptionist who had lived in Jordan for three years and cycled Israel from Mount Hermon to Eilat!! He was extremely knowledgeable on all matters Japanese. History, geography and points of interest in, but not only, Japan.






After two nights in the hostel, based on the recommendation given to me by Saba, I headed to Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on a map